There are 5.7 million Americans of all ages living with Alzheimer’s disease in 2018, and we encourage you to support this cause through the Alzheimer’s Association in any way you’re willing. We announced our partnership with the Alzheimer’s Association for 2018 earlier this year, and we’re excited about the events and initiatives we have planned in support of this organization. We hope you’ll join us!
About the Alzheimer’s Association
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Their mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health. Their vision is a world without Alzheimer’s.
Alzheimer’s Statistics (from the 2018 Facts and Figures Report)
Prevalence, Incidence and Mortality
- Two-thirds of Americans over age 65 with Alzheimer’s dementia (3.4 million) are women.
- Every 65 seconds, someone in the U.S. develops Alzheimer’s dementia. By mid-century, someone in the U.S. will develop the disease every 33 seconds.
- Alzheimer’s is the sixth-leading cause of death in the U.S., and it is the fifth-leading cause of death for those age 65 and older.
Cost of Care
- In 2017, the lifetime cost of care for a person living with dementia was $341,840 – with 70 percent of this cost borne by families directly through out-of-pocket costs and the value of unpaid care.
- Nearly half of all caregivers (48 percent) who provide help to older adults do so for someone with Alzheimer’s or another dementia.
- Forty-one percent of caregivers have a household income of $50,000 or less.
Let’s see if we can change these statistics by fighting to end Alzheimer’s together!
There are many ways you can take action in support of the Alzheimer’s Association. Here are some ideas for how you can make a difference!
Help End Alzheimer’s Through Social Media
This June, we are focusing on social media as a platform for awareness about Alzheimer’s disease and raise funds for the Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Cincinnati and the Miami Valley Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association. We will donate the following amounts to Alzheimer’s care, support and research from now until June 30:
- $1 for every ‘like’ of a RetireMEDiQ Facebook post
- $2 for every RetireMEDiQ Facebook page ‘like’
- $3 for every RetireMEDiQ Facebook post shared
- $4 for every Alzheimer’s story or photo posted on RetireMEDiQ’s Facebook page
- $5 for every person who joins or donates to RetireMEDiQ’s Walk to End Alzheimer’s team pages
Participate in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s®
We will be participating in the Greater Cincinnati, Dayton, and Butler, Warren and Clinton Counties Walks to End Alzheimer’s and would be honored if you would consider attending the walks with us or donating!
Learn About the Disease
We encourage you to take time to listen to the stories of individuals with family members who are living with or have passed away from Alzheimer’s.
Take Care of Yourself
While there is no known way to prevent Alzheimer’s Disease, a simple way to honor those living with Alzheimer’s is by living a healthy lifestyle. Research shows that following a healthy diet and exercise plan, engaging with others and keeping a social life, as well as continuing education and participating in stimulating activities may slow cognitive decline.
Share Your Story
Nearly everyone has known someone who suffered dementia of some kind or Alzheimer’s disease specifically. Share your story with your friends, family and even strangers to raise awareness for the disease.
Let’s continue to work together in the fight to #ENDALZ! To learn more about RetireMEDiQ’s partnership with the Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Cincinnati and the Miami Valley Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association, visit www.retiremediq.com/alz.