Whether you are planning to work beyond age 65 or are over 65 and starting to think about retirement, there is a lot to plan for. Many people begin thinking about their transition to Medicare 12 months before retiring. To help reduce the confusion and provide a clear path to Medicare, we’ve compiled a step-by-step checklist to walk you through the process.
12 Months Before Medicare Eligibility
- Learn the basics of Medicare. Part A, Part B, Part C, Part D, eligibility, enrollment and much more – there is a lot to know about Medicare. Understanding what all these things include and how they will work for your situation is a great place to start your Medicare journey.
- Sign up for the MyiQ Newsletter. Medicare’s details can cause new retirees to incur late enrollment penalties that stay with them for life. Our personalized e-newsletters ensure you never miss a deadline and are always informed and in control of your Medicare journey.
6 Months Before Medicare Eligibility
- Schedule a pre-retirement counseling meeting with a RetireMEDiQ licensed Benefit Advisor. Because each individual’s Medicare situation is extremely unique, we recommend meeting with one of our Benefit Advisors (in person or over the phone) six months before your transition to Medicare. This allows you to tell your advisor all about your situation (Social Security, which options may be right for you, your spouse’s situation, etc.) and begin outlining a plan of action for you.
3 Months Before Medicare Eligibility
- Depending on your situation, you may need to enroll in Medicare Part A and/or Part B. With retirement on the horizon, you will have some important steps to take during this time frame. The good news is that, thanks to your six-month counseling meeting with a RetireMEDiQ Benefit Advisor, you will already know what to do.
- Receive a personal plan recommendation from your RetireMEDiQ Benefit Advisor. After months of preparation and research, you’re finally ready to make the move to the Medicare plan that is right for you. Lucky for you, RetireMEDiQ’s experts do all the research and analysis for you and present a plan recommendation tailored specifically to your needs, budget and lifestyle. All you have to do is choose.
- Sign up for the Medicare plan of your choice. Not only does your Benefit Advisor provide a tailored plan recommendation just for you, your advisor also walks you through the entire enrollment process, helping you fill out your paperwork and filing it with your insurance company on your behalf.
Get Started on Your Journey to Medicare with the Help of RetireMEDiQ
Contact our team of local Benefit Advisors with any health plan questions you have as you prepare for retirement. We will take care of all the details.
What’s more, once you’ve enrolled in a plan with us, you can call our Client Services team anytime you have questions about your plan or encounter issues at 1-877-222-1942.