Among the countless benefits of regular exercise are chronic disease management, cardiac health promotion and general well-being. While it is important to make physical activity a priority, incorporating it into your life can seem daunting if it’s not currently part of your routine.
Walking can be an easy way to invite movement into your life. It can come in many forms, such as speed walking, mall walking, Nordic walking and hiking. You can bring creative and social elements into the mix, as well. As winter turns to spring, take walks at your local park with a pet or group of friends and enjoy seeing the new plants and flowers that are beginning to grow. Make a plan to walk several days a week, and you will be on your way to forming a wonderfully healthy habit!
We value your health and safety! Please keep these tips in mind as you plan your next walking excursion:
- Drink plenty of water prior to walking and bring a water bottle to help you stay hydrated throughout the activity.
- Always include warm up and cool down exercises in your routine.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Be careful where and when you walk; ensure you walk in daylight or in areas that have ample lighting.
- Use necessary safety equipment to prevent falls.
For more walking tips, click here.