Whether you’re currently working or already retired, as you approach Medicare eligibility there is a lot to plan for. To help reduce the confusion and provide a clear path to a smooth transition, we’ve compiled a step-by-step checklist to walk you through the process.
12 Months Before Turning 65 and/or Medicare Eligibility
- Learn the basics of Medicare. Part A, Part B, Part C, Part D, eligibility, enrollment and much more – there is a lot to know about Medicare. Understanding what all these things include and how they will work for your situation is a great place to start your Medicare journey.
- Sign up for RetireMEDiQ’s e-newsletter. Medicare can be confusing and can sometimes cause retirees to incur late enrollment penalties that stay with them for life and add unnecessary expenses. Our personalized MyiQ Newsletter ensure you never miss a deadline and are always informed and in control of your Medicare situation.
6 Months Before Turning 65 and/or Medicare Eligibility
- Schedule a phone call with one of our advisors. This allows you to tell your advisor about your situation (Social Security, which options may be right for you, your spouse’s situation, etc.) and begin outlining a game plan for you.
3 Months Before Turning 65 and/or Medicare Eligibility
- Enroll in Medicare Part A and/or Part B. Depending on your situation, you may either be automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B three months before turning 65, or you may have to manually enroll. The good news is that, thanks to your six-month meeting with an advisor, you will already know what you need to do.
- Receive a personal plan recommendation from your RetireMEDiQ advisor. After months of preparation and research, you’re finally ready to make the move to the Medicare plan that is right for you. Lucky for you, your advisor does all the research and analysis for you and presents a plan recommendation tailored specifically to your needs and budget. All you have to do is choose.
- Sign up for the Medicare plan of your choice. Not only does your advisor provide a tailored plan recommendation just for you, but your advisor also walks you through the entire enrollment process, helping you fill out your paperwork and filing it with your insurance company on your behalf.
Sit Back, Relax and Enjoy Retirement
As you wait for your Medicare coverage to begin, you can sit back, relax and enjoy the transition, knowing you have all the details taken care of. What’s more, you can call us anytime you have questions about your plan or encounter issues you are unable to resolve.